Sunday, March 27, 2011

First eggs!

Yes, our girls have started to lay!  I was so excited to see an egg in the nesting box when I checked this morning.  A small brown, perfect egg.


I assumed it was Boulder who laid the egg.  She has been doing the rooster dance for about a week now, and spending time in the nesting box.



But, after we brought in the egg and began to fry it up, I heard the egg laying squawk outside.  I hustled back out to the coop which Boulder was just exiting.  She was the second layer of the day - so who was the first?  Hmmmmm  . .

Our little pullet egg, was slightly smaller than a normal egg.


Gage (um, I mean superman) and I decided to fry up our first egg, while it was still warm.  We fried it up by itself so we could truly appreciate the taste of our first egg.   I held the camera and Gage got to work cooking the egg.




The yolk broke slightly from its long decent into the frying pan.  But it was a beautiful orange yolk, firm enough to sit up and smile at you.


So much prettier, tastier and healthier than eggs from confined hens.  Hens that spend their lives inside, in cages or not.  Being inside all of the time makes for unhappy hens and unhealthy eggs.   There is a huge difference in taste as well as nutritional value between fresh egg from a free range hen and confined hen's eggs.

Eggs from hens raised on pasture have:

  • 1/3 less cholesterol
  • 1/4 less saturated fat
  • 2/3 more vitamin A
  • 2 times more omega-3 fatty acids
  • 3 times more vitamin E
  • 7 times more beta carotene
  • 4 to 6 times more vitamin D

So if you haven't tried them, find some real free-range eggs from a farmer or friend and try them out.  YUMMY.

1 comment:

  1. What fun! I looks like a wonderful experience for the kids. I wish we could raise chickens too.

    ReplyDelete